THE parents of a toddler who burned his hand on a light fitting in a department store are angry the retailer will not offer compensation. On Friday, 18-month-old Tong Yuk-lai, who has just learned to walk, was attracted to the spotlights fitted on a platform close to the ground in the children's fashion section at Pacco, South Horizons. He ran towards one of them and touched it before his mother, Peggy Tong Cheung Choi-chu, could prevent it. 'The whole process happened in a matter of seconds,' said the child's father, Patrick Tong Yu-wing, a resident of South Horizons. Mr Tong, a marketing manager, said his son, who was rushed to a private clinic by his mother, was going through daily treatment but the doctor was uncertain about the extent of the damage. 'It's such a nasty burn that the whole skin of the palm has been detached. We're worried that the injury might have affected the inner muscle of his hand,' said Mr Tong. The boy has been screaming in pain every night since the accident. The parents have been seeking compensation from the department store, owned by the Pacific Capital Group, who developed the residential estate, and have threatened to take legal action for negligence. 'The lights were fitted where many children walk past and there were no barriers to protect them,' Mr Tong said, adding that the store's management refused to talk to him. 'They said they would wait until I took action.' Store manager of Pacco, Stephen Yeung Kam-chuen, said the parents should have informed the management immediately. 'At present, nobody can tell me what exactly happened. We've asked them to send us a letter to tell us the details of the accident,' he said. The three spotlights have now been removed.