TWO years ago, housewife Ho Mui-mui cared little about the community and did not even know who the Governor was. Now she spends a lot of her time fighting for benefits on behalf of public housing residents. She said her life changed last year when she was ordered to move out of her public rental flat in Sau Mau Ping Estate because of re-development. Ms Ho, 54, said: 'I had to brace myself to face an uncertain future. I panicked at the beginning because I knew little about rehousing. 'I sought help from social workers in my district and learned that I could fight for better rehousing benefits with my neighbours although I only completed primary school. 'We have grouped together to discuss our future. We arranged meetings with officers from the Housing Department. Thanks to our efforts, many of us got homes with a better location in the urban area. And I am going to move to nearby Tsui Ping Estate.' Ms Ho is one of those who has benefited from the Neighbourhood Level Community Development Project which the Government has dropped plans to scrap. She is a liaison officer in a concern group formed by tenants in her estate and a frequent participant in demonstrations outside Government House. Ng Suk-ling, a social worker with the Sau Mau Ping community development project, said Ms Ho and her family were some of the many residents living in deprived areas who did not know how to respond to community problems. She said the community projects, started in 1978, offered counselling, community education and development programmes. 'There is a great demand for the service. The Government should expand the programme,' she said. At present, there are 54 teams, each serving 3,000 to 15,000 people. Despite a review in 1989 showing the scheme was effective and should be continued, the Government wanted to phase it out on the grounds the number of deprived areas was decreasing. But pressure from residents, social workers and legislators forced the Government to reconsider. Secretary for Home Affairs Michael Suen Ming-yeung said on Sunday that Executive Councillors believed the scheme should continue. He said Exco would announce the final decision in two to three weeks. Ms Ho and Ms Ng said they would continue fighting to expand the project. 'There are still many residents living in old, deprived areas which require re-development,' said Ms Ng.