TWO mainland hijackers sentenced to death last week for the $10 million raid on a Macau jetfoil in June are to appeal. Chen Wenjian, 20, and Zhang Shaomian, 27, were sentenced by the Intermediate People's Court in Zhongshan on last Friday. Zhang's execution was suspended for two years. Chen's appeal is to be heard by the Guangdong Higher People's Court. Chen's brother-in-law said the sentence was unfair. 'He was being ordered to do the job. He is so young, not even 20 when he committed the crime. He regrets it. We would accept life imprisonment.' Zhang's lawyer, Lin Shujuan, said his family felt it was unfair the third hijacker, Zhou Hanlian, 22, got a lighter term. 'It was Zhang who encouraged Zhou to surrender with him,' Ms Lin said. 'I understand why the court gave Zhang a heavier sentence - he was said to have taken a more active part during the robbery. He and Chen fired some shots while Zhou did not,' she said. 'I hope Zhang could be given a lighter sentence so as to encourage criminals to surrender,' Ms Lin said. Zhou's lawyer, Deng Bi, said his client had not yet indicated whether he would appeal. 'He was only very worried about being sentenced to death,' he said. A mainland driver, Liang Bingzhao, 33, faces a piracy charge in Hong Kong in relation to the raid. Macau judicial police officer Wu Shucheong, 33, is also charged with playing a role in the hijacking.