SEVE Ballesteros will be aiming to turn on the style when he heads an impressive field in this year's US$500,000 Alfred Dunhill Masters at the Royal Hong Kong Golf Club. Confirmation of the Spanish superstar's appearance at Fanling comes less than a week after his appointment as captain of Europe's team for next year's Ryder Cup in his home country. Although the Masters, from October 31 to November 3, clashes with the Sarazen World Open in America, Alfred Dunhill and tournament promoters IMG are hoping to lure at least two other big names, with South African Ernie Els and Scotland's Colin Montgomerie believed to be at the top of the shopping list. Since representing Europe in last September's momentous victory at Oak Hill, Ballesteros has had a complete break from golf. He took his family ski-ing and also went on hunting and fishing trips. He resumed training last month and is scheduled to make his eagerly-awaited return to competitive action in next week's Moroccan Open after which he will play in the Dubai Desert Classic. Then he will head stateside for three tournaments leading up to April's US Masters at Augusta, the first Major of the season and a tournament he has won twice. The Alfred Dunhill Masters was launched in 1994 following the decision to discontinue with the Alfred Dunhill Cup qualifying tournament in Southeast Asia. Originally, the sponsors had indicated they wanted the event to be included on the Asia-Pacific Golf Confederation's (APGC) Asian Tour. However, when the APGC said they were unable to fit it into their 1994 calendar, organisers opted to link up with the Australasian PGA Tour. For 1996, the event will be jointly sanctioned by the Australasian PGA Tour and the Omega Asian PGA Tour. Canadian Jack Kay Jnr won the inaugural event at the Bali Golf & Country Club when runaway leader Nick Faldo was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard in the penultimate round. Last November at the Emeralda Golf & Country Club in Jakarta, victory went to rising New Zealand star Michael Campbell. Richard Cole, regional managing director for Alfred Dunhill (Pacific) Limited, said the inclusion of Ballesteros in the lineup was evidence of the intention to build the tournament into one of Asia's leading events and that Hong Kong would be an ideal venue. He said: 'We believe that Hong Kong, which is the headquarters of our Asia-Pacific operations, and of course a key business centre in Asia, will become even more important in terms of trade and commerce in the next few years.' The English men's luxury goods company have strong links with Royal Hong Kong having twice staged qualifying tournaments in the territory - in 1985 and 1992. Ballesteros will be hoping for a rather better showing than on his only previous visit to Fanling for the 1993 Hong Kong Open. Having scraped into the final two rounds, Ballesteros closed with a four-over-par 75 on the Composite Course to tie for 44th position on 288, 14 strokes adrift of the victorious Brian Watts. Depressed with his inconsistent driving, Ballesteros then said: 'I am totally confused with the game at the moment. I will continue to work at it. I hope I can come back here and play better.'