An eight-year-old boy who claimed he was sexually abused by a teenager made legal history when he gave evidence from a special room via a live television link in the District Court yesterday. Seven television screens set up in court flickered into life to signal the start of his testimony. They showed him sitting on a purple chair in a small decorated room behind the court, containing two flowery sofas, and with walls painted pale green. With him was a member of staff from the Social Welfare Department. It was the first time a juvenile alleged victim of sexual abuse had been allowed to give evidence via television link. Under new procedures vulnerable witnesses able to testify via the television link and be spared the trauma of appearing in open court also include alleged crime victims aged under 14 and the mentally handicapped. Prosecutor Laura Millar told the court that between March and June 1994 the boy was living with his babysitter in Wong Tai Sin. The boy's father was then in jail, while his stepmother was working in Macau. The boy told Judge Carlye Chu Fun-ling when he and the childminder's 17-year-old son were alone at home he was asked to go to a room and strip off. The court heard a sex act then took place. Various sex acts were performed on more than 10 occasions, the boy said. While giving evidence the boy would sometimes stop to think, rolling his eyes and biting on the straw through which he would take an occasional drink. At other moments he would move around in his seat, and twice he was seen to yawn. The case was adjourned half an hour early because the boy was too tired to give further evidence yesterday. The defendant pleads not guilty to seven charges of indecent assault. The trial resumes on Monday.