The family of a man crushed to death by a crane operated by an unlicensed driver watched video replays of the tragedy yesterday. Ho Chun, 53, was run over by the crane on July 11 last year while working as a traffic controller at a container company on Tsing Yi Island. The incident, captured by an on-site video camera, was shown again and again in front of the family while the inquest tried to decipher what happened. Ho appeared to step out to help direct an incoming truck. 'He did not know the crane was coming from behind,' said Labour Department factory inspector Leung Kei-wing. 'The driver was not aware of the deceased because his view was obscured by the lifting mechanism.' Lu Chun-sheng, 29, was not even aware he had hit someone until another driver radioed him, the inquest heard. Even though Mr Lu had operated similar heavy equipment in China, he did not have a Hong Kong licence. He was brought to the territory on a one-year contract with Euroasia Dockyard Enterprise and Development Company, the inquest heard. 'It was not being lawfully operated,' Coroner John Saunders said. 'It was being operated by an unlicensed person.' The family was upset when they learned Mr Lu would not appear at the inquest and that only a statement by him would be read. The coroner said Hong Kong law did not have the power to bring someone from China for a civil proceeding. Ho's death from multiple injuries was ruled death by accident. Outside the court his daughter, Ho Ka-po, 23, said the family would sue for compensation.