MINIATURE primary schools could become a new mode of education in Hong Kong, after talks between educators and the Government yesterday. At a meeting with the Hong Kong Professional Teachers' Union, Secretary for Education and Manpower, Joseph Wong Wing-ping, promised to draw up timetables for full-scale all-day primary schooling. But a dearth of land for full-sized schools could lead the Government to take up the union's proposal for mini-primary schools in built-up areas. At present, only 25 per cent of primary schools run all day. A timetable for pulling the remaining 75 per cent into line could be handed to the Legislative Council in September, when meetings resumed, Mr Wong said. The legislator and union chairman, Cheung Man-kwong, welcomed the offer. 'The timetable for all-day schooling would help the education field in Hong Kong to wipe away its last insults. Nowhere else but prosperous Hong Kong divides schooling into morning and afternoon shifts,' he said. 'The major problem has been insufficient land.' Mini schools - containing 12 to 18 classes instead of the usual 24 - could put to good use precious space in urban areas. 'Smaller schools may also enable better teacher-student relationships, better care for the pupils and higher teaching quality,' Mr Cheung said.