China is set to approve a fresh deal among consortiums to resolve the row over the Container Terminal 9 project, according to an informed source. Details of the long-awaited deal reached last week were given to China's team in the Joint Liaison Group (JLG) on Monday, the source said. Given China's repeated assurance that it would support any agreement between the consortiums, the go-ahead could be given as early as this month. Various sources said both the Chinese and Hong Kong governments had put pressure on the consortiums to compromise before the JLG's plenary session next month. One source claimed this political pressure produced the breakthrough. Another said there had been no insurmountable difficulty, and that 'the final package will make everyone happy'. Under the deal, the Jardine-led Tsing Yi Consortium will be compensated for swapping the franchise rights of two berths given to it under the original CT9 agreement. The two berths will go to Modern Terminals (MTL). The other two berths in the original package will go to MTL and Hong Kong Terminals respectively as originally planned. In addition to unspecified compensation, Tsing Yi Consortium will have rights to operate on two of MTL's CT8 berths. The final accord on CT9 will come more than seven months after British Foreign Secretary Malcolm Rifkind and his Chinese counterpart Qian Qichen agreed in January they were ready to accept any compromise among the operators of the nine terminals.