THE Urban Council's pest control team should be empowered to eradicate poisonous insects such as centipedes and scorpions, councillors have urged. Democrat councillor Chan Kwok-leung said recent reports of centipedes and scorpions getting into the homes of residents living on slopes, had been alarming. He called for the immediate amendment of the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance so as to include these harmful insects under the scope of management of the council's pest control team. 'There have been residents requesting our help. Usually, they are those who live by hill sides. I think these insects would also be a nuisance to those residents who live in the countryside,' Mr Chan said. A recent case was reported by a resident of Sai Wan Tsuen, who has reportedly seen a 22-centimetre long centipede. But, the council's Public Health Select Committee turned down the amendment request and it will be transferred to the Agricultural and Fisheries department for further studies. Queen Mary Hospital's accident and emergency ward's consultant Dr Tong Hon-kuan said they often treated patients suffering from centipede bites. 'Usually, the bites would only cause lymphangitis or enlargement of the lymph node.'