This week's school bus accident in which two men were killed has sparked calls for the early introduction of new safety rules. The Government had given coach companies until February 1 next year to comply with new guidelines drawn up by police, education and transport bosses. Officials say the period of grace will allow operators time to adapt their buses, but Monday's accident in Western has sparked demands for the grace period to be scrapped. Legislative Council education panel vice-chairman Cheung Hon-chung led the calls: 'It is difficult for me to comment on an individual accident, but it seems that there is no reason for a grace period. 'I have talked to technicians and engineers and they say that the changes could be made immediately. A tragic accident like Monday's reinforces the need for things to move much more quickly. 'They should be implemented now. There is no need to wait. Six months is too long. This is a matter of urgency,' he said. The recommendations, drawn up in May this year after three months of consultation, apply to vehicles like that involved in the tragedy and cover all school buses with 16 or more seats. Each vehicle must have a mandatory escort on board, a public address system, carry a sign in the back window clearly identifying it as a school bus and have a warning system to let the driver and passengers know when the doors are open. The consultation period ended with a move to set up school bus service committees in each school to monitor travel arrangements. A Transport Department spokesman said that in the 'interests of the operators' there were no plans to bring forward the implementation of the recommendations. Two Cable TV survey technicians were killed and 16 schoolchildren injured when the bus, driven by Nam Wai-ho, 25, ploughed into a car on Monday in Hill Road. Nam, who says he swerved to avoid a child before the crash, had been involved in a collision with a public light bus just hours earlier. He has been charged and released on $5,000 police bail.