Yip Kai-foon shot after refusing to give up

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 19 February, 1997, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 19 February, 1997, 12:00am

Yip Kai-foon was gunned down by the police after 'standing alone' from his accomplices and refusing to surrender, the High Court heard yesterday.

Constable Chow Hau-leung told of 'a single human shadow' which kept apart from other members of the fleeing gang surprised by police officers in the early hours of the morning.

The figure continued to face the police as he moved away and was hit by three bullets in the shootout that followed, the court heard.

Only after he slumped to the ground did officers recover a bag containing 1.8 kilograms of explosives and two radio-controlled devices, the officer testified.

His gun was recovered and was found to have jammed, the court was told.

Yip, 35, now confined to a wheelchair, has pleaded not guilty to possessing explosives with intent to endanger life or injure property, possessing arms and ammunition, and using a firearm to resist arrest.

Constable Chow said he and a colleague, Chan Chi-sing, spotted the gang of silhouetted figures near the Kennedy Town waterfront on May 13 last year.

He said: 'The one who was singled out, who distinctly stood alone, was closest to the mouth of the alley. They were looking here and there. They gave me the impression they were not familiar with this place.' The officers moved towards the gang and Constable Chow shouted at them to stop. He then heard the sound of pistols being cocked.

Prosecutor Peter Chapman said the policemen had drawn their service revolvers when they saw Yip facing them, holding a pistol.

They had ordered him to drop the gun but he turned and ran along Victoria Road, the court heard.

Mr Chapman said Constable Chow then warned he would fire unless the gunman stopped.

Yip half-turned and pointed his pistol while the other members of the gang slipped away, the prosecutor said.

Constable Chow fired the first shot but Yip continued to run. A second shot seemed to slow the gunman down and he turned and levelled his pistol at the officers, the court heard.

Mr Chapman said: 'PC Chow then fired a third shot. The man was apparently hit and at this stage fell to the ground.' The policemen took cover near the gates of the China Motor Bus depot, he said.

The officer heard a shot ring out from the gunman's direction, he added. It struck the gate. Senior Constable Tam Kin-fung then arrived on the scene. When the gunman raised his pistol instead of complying with a demand to drop it, the officer shot him, Mr Chapman said.

Surgeons later removed two bullets from Yip's body.

The trial, before Mr Justice Michael Stuart-Moore, continues today.