Judge in mystery halt to Yip trial

PUBLISHED : Friday, 21 February, 1997, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 21 February, 1997, 12:00am

The trial of Yip Kai-foon was halted yesterday over an undisclosed problem.


Mr Justice Michael Stuart-Moore dismissed the High Court jury and said the case would resume today without giving any reason for the delay. He told the jury that the trial, which started on Tuesday, would be completed by March 7.


Yip, 35, denies having firearms and ammunition, possessing explosives with intent to endanger life or injure property and using a gun to resist arrest on May 13 last year. He is alleged to have fired at the police during a shootout in Kennedy Town in which he was shot three times.


Yip was gunned down after refusing to surrender to police officers, the court has been told.


But Graeme Mackay, defending, has claimed Yip was shot in the back while unarmed, and then robbed of $30,000 by police.