Chief Executive-designate Tung Chee-hwa has offered his full support to Hong Kong's participation in October's All-China Games in Shanghai. Tung met members of the Sport Community for Celebration of Reunification of Hong Kong with China (SCCRHKC) and local sport associations last night at the Sports House - the first official meeting of Tung with local sports people. Tung, who is a sports lover, said the Special Administrative Region government (SAR) will support the local associations in sending their athletes to the Games, at which all the top Chinese athletes will take part. 'Hong Kong will become part of China in 83 days. I reckon we have the right and it's our duty to take part in the All-China Games,' said Tung. 'It's our honour that we are invited to take part and it's an excellent opportunity which our athletes can't miss. I hope all our sport leaders can work together to send a delegation to the Games and let our athletes show their best in front of athletes from other provinces and cities.' Tung said Hong Kong would be taking part in the event under the name of 'China-Hong Kong' and the SAR flag. Timothy Fok, executive vice-chairman of the SCCRHKC, said Hong Kong's participation in the All-China Games would not affect Hong Kong's independent status in the international sports fields. 'The representatives of local sport associations, who attended the meeting with Mr Tung, all agree our independent status will remain unchanged if we send a delegation to the Games,' said Fok, who is also a vice-president of the Amateur Sports Federation and Olympic Committee (ASF & OC). 'Take soccer for example. FIFA general secretary Mr Sepp Blatter reassured the Hong Kong Football Association (HKFA) last week that it is Hong Kong's internal matter whether we compete in the All-China Games. 'FIFA will not stop us and it won't affect our independent membership with FIFA. 'This will be an historic moment. The mainland Chinese side have given Hong Kong athletes a priority to take part. It's an excellent opportunity for our athletes to compete in such a high standard event. 'There were doubts around our participation in the Games but everyone is happy now that Mr Tung has given us a clear message that we should go ahead with it.' Wu Shaozu , China's Minister of Sports, had earlier announced that Hong Kong athletes could automatically enter the All-China Games finals in those events whose qualifiers are held before July 1. Hong Kong will have to apply for participation in the team events though, including soccer and basketball. 'This priority may be for this year's Games only. If we miss this chance, we might not be able to take part in the next Games in four years,' said Fok who is also the HKFA vice president. 'The HKFA will apply to take part in the Games.' Missing from last night's meeting was ASF & OC president A de O Sales, who was not available for comment. ASF & OC honorary secretary Ronnie Wong Man-chiu, who also did not attend the meeting, said he was aware of it but did not receive an invitation. He said the sports associations had the right to decide whether to take part in the All-China Games. 'Mr Sales has said before that we didn't encourage individual sport associations to take part in the Games but we are not going to intervene,' said Wong. 'ASF & OC are concerned with Hong Kong's participation in international events. The All-China Games have nothing to do with us.'