Past, present and future came together when Diocesan Preparatory School (DPS) celebrated its open day. The past came to life in a display of historical photographs of teaching staff, students and school events such as Christmas parties and sports days. Illustrating the present were musical performances, arts and crafts, table tennis demonstrations and written work projects. The school presented the future when it used the occasion to launch its Redevelopment Appeal. The appeal aims to raise $95 million for re-location of the school in 1999, the year of its 50th anniversary. The new and larger facility, to be located at the Diocesan Boys' School in Mongkok, will provide enough room for a further 12 classrooms and enable a reduction in class size from 40 to 35 students. The new campus will feature air-conditioned classrooms, a computer centre, sports field, swimming pool and tennis and basketball courts. Established in 1949, the DPS has been fully subsidised by the Government as a single- session school taught primarily in English. Each year it receives about 400 applications for primary one places and another 500 enquiries for the eight to 10 places available in higher classes. According to the fund-raising committee, the relocation is a necessary step to cope with the increasing demand for places at the school.