In a rare move, Xinhua (the New China News Agency) has admitted it blundered when releasing details of the handover celebrations earlier this week. 'Our report dated May 5 is based on reports in the Hong Kong press,' it told subscribers yesterday. 'The contents are not accurate. Please withdraw it.' The original report, headlined 'Various activities of handover day basically fixed', was carried prominently by local media, including the two leading pro-China newspapers, Wen Wei Po and Ta Kung Pao. A government official working on the handover ceremony said: 'We were shocked . . . We knew clearly there was wrong information in it, but we were not totally sure . . . we thought Xinhua might know something we didn't.'