Aaron Nattrass said he did not consider his acquittal a 'victory' over the authorities, describing it instead as a 'tragedy'. He feared being persecuted after his seven-year legal battle came to an abrupt end, and had no plans to seek compensation. 'The whole incident is a tragedy. The victory belongs to the ICAC,' Mr Nattrass said. He told the Post the saga had worn him down and he would prefer to keep quiet to avoid any trouble in the future. 'I don't want to make any comment about the Hong Kong Government, the ICAC or the New Zealand Immigration Service,' he said. 'I am afraid of them. I don't want them to bring any fresh case against me and I don't want them to cause me any nuisance,' Mr Nattrass said. 'You have to pay a large price if you want to fight these people,' he added. 'It would drive you crazy and wear you down.' Mr Nattrass said he was not planning to sue the Hong Kong or New Zealand governments or seek compensation. 'I have been in court more than most lawyers. I prefer a peaceful and quiet life now,' he said. Looking back over the past decade, Mr Nattrass said he wished he had not left his former job as a traffic police officer in New Zealand. 'I wish I had never left the force,' he said. 'I was well-regarded and received a lot of commendations.' Mr Nattrass said the long-running trial had ruined his health, business and marriage. Last week, he said, he had fainted in the witness box and had to be taken to see his doctor. Mr Nattrass now operates a management consultant company in Central, and said his business had suffered badly from the adverse publicity. His wife, Vivian Woo, whom he married in July 1990, had left him during the long saga. 'I have been under torture for nine years,' Mr Nattrass said. But the New Zealander said he wanted to stay in the territory. 'Hong Kong people may be afraid of July 1 but I welcome it. I want to start afresh.'