A record haul of fireworks and firecrackers - enough to stage a half-hour display above Victoria Harbour - has been discovered hidden in a container truck arriving from Guangdong. A senior Customs officer said yesterday the consignment might have been intended for illegal sale to villagers in the New Territories to celebrate the handover. 'At present, we find no evidence to show the goods were for re-export after arriving in Hong Kong,' Assistant Superintendent Kwok Sin-chik said. 'But we do not rule out the possibility they were to be used illegally to celebrate the handover.' At present, some villagers in the New Territories uphold tradition and defy a ban on using firecrackers and fireworks to celebrate Chinese festivals such as Lunar New Year. The haul came on Thursday, with Customs officers seizing 667 cartons of assorted fireworks in a truck arriving from China at the Lok Ma Chau border checkpoint. A mainland driver aged 46 was arrested. The contraband was found hidden behind 34 boxes of rattan chairs inside the 13-metre container. Mr Kwok said: 'The haul weighs 10 tonnes and is worth about $2.8 million. It is the biggest seizure we have made so far.' On June 30, up to nine tonnes of explosives will be used in one of the official handover fireworks display.