A rookie fireman was critically ill last night after he was overcome by intense heat in a smoke-filled room during training. Ng Wai-kwong, 34 and married, collapsed during the supervised test in a room mocked-up to look like a cargo ship hold. He was taken to Tuen Mun Hospital where he was discovered to have multiple organ failure. Two other recruits, both 20, were also hit by the overpowering heat and smoke at the Pat Heung training school in Yuen Long. They were kept overnight in Pok Oi Hospital for observation. A Fire Services Department spokesman said the three trainees were found to be in trouble at the training school in Fan Kam Road 24 minutes after the exercise started. 'One of them was found lying unconscious on the ground and the other two felt unwell,' he said. Wood had been lit in the room to increase the temperature and the men were equipped with breathing apparatus. They were meant to be conducting a search of the imitation hold. The head of Tuen Mun Hospital's Accident and Emergency Unit, Dr Stephen Yau Hon-hung, said Mr Ng had heatstroke. 'The man suffered multi-organ failure. He is still in an unconscious state and on a breathing machine in an intensive care unit,' he said. The Fire Services Department promised an immediate investigation. The drill was part of the compulsory six-month test all new recruits underwent, a department spokesman said.