COVENTRY CITY have refused to insert a clause into the contract of Viorel Moldovan, their new Romania striker, which could have brought them a handsome profit immediately after the World Cup. Iaon Bacali, the player's agent, wanted a written option to buy back Moldovan's registration after the tournament in France. Bryan Richardson, the Coventry chairman, who paid Grasshopper Zurich ?3.25 million for the player, said: 'Obviously, the agent would only take him if he knew a club in Spain or Italy was prepared to pay a big fee. Where is the benefit to us in that arrangement? If we wanted to sell him, which we do not, then we might as well do it ourselves and get the full fee.' The fact that Moldovan, 25, is the subject of such speculation speaks volumes for his reputation and provides a warning to England, who are in the same group as Romania. He has been widely tipped as an emerging star after scoring nine goals in the qualifying stages. Romania reached the finals with the best record of any European country and Moldovan smiled knowingly when it was suggested that his encounters with the likes of Tony Adams, Sol Campbell and Gareth Southgate in the coming weeks will hold him in good stead for the game against England in Toulouse on June 22. Speaking through an interpreter, Moldovan said: 'It is good for us that people think Romania will be easy to beat. There are lots of very, very good young Romanian players at the moment. European clubs are desperate to sign them now because after the World Cup, when the players are famous, they can sell them for a lot of money.' Sasa Curcic will decide over the weekend whether to join Besiktas, of Turkey. Aston Villa will be prepared to accept ?1.5 million for the midfield player who cost them ?4 million 18 months ago. Meanwhile, Spanish First Division side Tenerife have finally signed Middlesbrough's out-of-favour star Emerson. The Brazilian has signed a four-year contract with the fee involved believed to be ?4 million. Emerson angered Middlesborough over his late return from a pre-Christmas break and the English side made it clear the former Portuguese Player of the Year has worn a Middlesbrough shirt for the last time. The player had, in fact, been training with the Spanish side during his absence from the Riverside. 'Boro boss Bryan Robson said: 'We have agreed the deal but are not so sure about what happened since Emerson said he would telephone us and he hasn't. 'He has let himself and his teammates down. It is a shame what he did because he didn't go about things the right way. It was unprofessional and not fitting ? but it hasn't put me off signing another Brazilian whatsoever.' Meanwhile, Liverpool manager Roy Evans has slammed fresh newspaper reports from Spain that his England winger Steve McMan-aman is on his way to Barcelona. McManaman has also denied all knowledge of the stories which claim the 25-year-old has signed a pre-contract agreement which will see him move to the Spanish giants at the end of the season. And angry Liverpool boss Evans declared: 'He is in no position to sign for Barcelona ? it is all fairy tales, rubbish. 'All this annoys me ? it seems to keep on coming. But Steve is in no position to sign for anyone.' McManaman has 18 months left to run on his contract and Liverpool claim that players are not allowed to enter into pre-contract agreement until they are in the last year of their current contract. Evans added: 'He can't do anything like that without talking to us first. All this continued speculation is rubbish. He was sensational for us out there and he has to contend with all this. 'Of course he still has the option to go somewhere else when his contract with us is up, but we believe he will sign again for us. 'We feel we have the best chance of keeping him here, because he has never said he wants to leave this club.' Meanwhile, the Reds' chief executive Peter Robinson confirmed: 'We have had no further contact with Barcelona since their approach in August. The contract offer is still on the table for Steve to sign, and we feel he will do so.' Another player who has pledged his future to the UK game is England striker Ian Wright who said he was staying at Arsenal after a week of growing speculation that he would move to Benfica. Wright said he had been flattered and intrigued by a ?3 million offer from Benfica manager Graeme Souness to replace injured Joao Pinto at the Portuguese club. Wright, however, said he would stay at the London club where his contract still has more than two years to run. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told Benfica earlier this week that Wright would not be released from Highbury, and he has repeated his 'hands off' warning. 'I haven't even spoken to Ian yet about this story but I can tell you it is impossible we will let him go. For one thing we do not have a replacement.' Wenger is known to be unhappy with the performance of 18-year-old Frenchman Nicolas Anelka, who was seen as the natural rep-lacement for Wright but has yet to show anything like the form needed to take the place of the club's greatest goal-scorer.