A 12-YEAR-OLD boy was fighting for his life last night after a firecracker he found lying on a Sai Kung beach exploded in his face. Police said the boy, surnamed Wan, was playing with a girl, aged 11, and a boy of eight when they found the 10cm-long firecracker near the Beach Resort Hotel on Tai Mong Tsai Road. They lit it and it went off before they had time to run away. All three were injured. Wan was admitted to the burns unit of the Prince of Wales Hospital in critical condition. His two companions were treated for minor burns and discharged. New Territories villagers openly celebrate festivals with fireworks, despite their prohibition.