An inaugural flight touching down at Chek Lap Kok with Vice-Premier Zhu Rongji aboard is being proposed as the centrepiece of the new airport's opening ceremony. The VIP flight, most likely from Beijing, would take place on July 1 - five days before operations start - under a plan being circulated by members of the influential Airport Authority board. The board is supporting plans to mark the first anniversary of the SAR's foundation with a huge ceremony at the $155 billion airport site. Proposals for the celebrations included open days for the public to examine the runways and terminal buildings, an exhibition of vintage and modern aircraft and a laser and fireworks spectacular, board member Ho Sai-chu said. Mr Zhu, the economic supremo expected to be elevated to prime minister next month, could be aboard an aircraft to land during the celebrations, he said. 'We hope it is either the premier or somebody [from Beijing] who will fly in using the airport to mark the opening,' Mr Ho said. The PLA is unlikely to be invited to stage a flyover. 'I think we will keep it to a civil sort of thing,' he said. The New Airport Project Co-ordination Office said no decision had been made for the timing of a ceremony, but it could be held before the start of operations on July 6. It hinted the celebrations could be more spectacular than the ceremony for the opening of the $7.1 billion Tsing Ma bridge in the dying days of British rule, when a host of VIPs were flown in from London. The bridge was only part of the project, but the airport was the 'ultimate', spokesman Tse Cheung-hing said. The Airport Authority said its board had not yet set a date, but Mr Ho said July 1 was generally supported by his colleagues. However, authority spokesman Phillip Bruce said the public were unlikely to be allowed on the runways before flights started because sensitive equipment needed to be protected. He said other open day activities were likely, adding: 'We want to let the people of Hong Kong to see as much as possible what they are getting for their money.' More than 30,000 people saw the site last year through visits arranged by the Home Affairs Department.