A Tseung Kwan O resident who claims his belongings were destroyed after firefighting equipment in his public estate failed to work is suing the Housing Authority for $190,200. The fire hoses were dry and the alarm did not sound when a blaze started in Yeung Kwok-chiu's 23rd-floor flat in Nga Lam House, Tsui Lam Estate, the writ, filed in the High Court, claims. The fire, on February 8, 1995, started when burning material fell into Mr Yeung's flat from upstairs. Relatives tried to put out the blaze but the kitchen taps were dry, the writ claims. Firemen were forced to use pumps from a street fire hydrant and the blaze was extinguished after almost an hour, leaving the flat 'severely damaged'.