A huge rush of mainland children into the SAR has been ruled out even if an appeal over the right of abode law fails. 'The public can be assured that there won't be an influx of mainland children,' said Deputy Secretary for Security Sally Wong Pik-yee, adding that the existing 150-person-per-day quota would still apply. But her comments failed to convince provisional legislators, who feared the quota system would face legal challenge. The Court of Appeal will begin a hearing on March 5 on the legality of the right of abode law, and whether children born out of wedlock have such right. Another appeal, against a judgment in favour of giving such right to children born before their parents become SAR permanent residents, is also under way. Ms Wong, who warned many children could become eligible if the Government lost, dismissed claims that mainland children over 20 only had a slim chance of reunion. Four of the 50 children who entered the SAR each day in January were aged above 21, she said. Some 10,388 eligible children have come to Hong Kong since July 1 last year.