More than 1,000 Tianjin residents who fell sick in a fatal outbreak of carbon-monoxide poisoning are out of danger, Xinhua said yesterday. Xinhua said that on the night of March 28, low atmospheric pressure and similar indoor and outdoor temperatures caused an inversion, prohibiting the normal discharge of carbon monoxide from chimneys in the city. Fourteen people died before they could reach hospital and about 100 of the 1,126 sent to hospital were seriously ill, reports said. Tianjin health officials said this was the worst carbon-monoxide poisoning incident in years. Close to 3,000 doctors and nurses from more than 20 hospitals and 120 emergency rooms had been mobilised to deal with the crisis. The city's news media repeatedly alerted residents about the situation. Shun Shuqing, an official with Tianjin No 1 Central Hospital, said the hospital admitted more than 200 poisoned people on March 29 and March 30. 'Apart from nine seriously poisoned victims, all the others have been discharged,' she said. Ms Shun said those discharged might still need treatment in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. She said that in the first few days after the outbreak, victims had been forced to queue for hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatment. Nearly half of all Tianjin homes still use coal stoves for heating and cooking. Health experts said the death toll was high because in some cases, early symptoms were not recognised and people were not sufficiently alert to the signs. In some cases, inappropriate treatment had been administered and when the proper treatment was given, it was too late.