A safety investigation was underway last night after a baby boy died in a pushchair which toppled over and throttled him. The pushchair in which eight-month-old Rai Ugal perished was made by a firm that has previously been fined for marketing unsafe baby buggies. Ugal was left sleeping in the Taiwanese-made Babystar pushchair at his home in Pat Heung while his 53-year-old grandmother, Rai Chan Dra Kumari, went outside to carry out household chores at 9.30 am yesterday. When she returned about an hour later, she found the pushchair had toppled backward and the baby's neck was trapped under one of the bars in its frame. The Nepalese grandmother, who speaks neither Cantonese nor English, sought help from the landlord, who alerted police, but the boy was dead. The pushchair had been folded out for use as a bed. Ugal's 29-year-old father, Rai Mani Parsad, a construction site worker, and his 21-year-old mother, Limbu Chan Chala, a cleaner, were both at work. 'We believed that the pushchair toppled backward as the baby woke and moved around,' assistant Pat Heung divisional commander Senior Inspector Pang Chuen-kwong said. He said the pushchair would be taken to government laboratories for examination. At their home last night, Mr Rai said: 'No one could prevent an accident like this.' He said he and his wife would bury Ugal in Hong Kong, where he was born. He had bought the pushchair for $480 from a shop in Yuen Long in September. 'I had no idea that the Taiwan-made pushchairs were considered dangerous to babies and had been banned,' Mr Rai said. It emerged last night that the pushchair did meet safety standards but was not suitable for a boy of Ugal's age. A sweeping investigation of pushchairs by the Consumer Council in 1995 found two out of three models made by the same manufacturer were dangerous. They were later banned from sale. In September 1996 the department received another complaint after a child suffered head injuries from falling out of a Babystar pushchair, the Customs and Excise Department's trading standards investigation bureau deputy head, Sennett Ko Chak-shun, said. 'Our 1995 investigation brought about a positive result. Testing takes time, and so did our investigation, that's why there was a delay.' After the pushchair was tested, Hong Kong importer Dao Shing Trading Company was fined $12,750 in June last year under the Toys and Childrens' Products Safety Ordinance. Both the department and Consumer Council are considering a review of pushchair safety and more tests on Babystar models. Consumer Council spokesman Connie Lau said the pushchair involved in the tragedy did meet safety standards but stressed it was only suitable for children up to six months old. 'Those pushchairs cannot be treated as beds with older children because they turn and can collapse,' she said.