The oldest colonial building, Murray House, torn down in Central 16 years ago, will be resurrected in Stanley as a tourist attraction. But the musty smell of old documents will be gone, replaced by the scent of champagne and fine foods to be offered by dozens of new restaurants and pubs. It will be the second and most ambitious attempt to convert an historic building into numerous restaurants in the area following transformation of the old police station in Stanley Village Road several years ago. Beginning next month, the mansion will be rebuilt by Shui On Building Contractors on reclaimed land off Stanley Bay. Tentatively named Stanley Plaza, the development will extend the strip of trendy bars and restaurants by the sea on Stanley Main Street. The new attraction is part of the Housing Department's Ma Hang development project. Also included are a public housing estate and a Home Ownership Scheme designed to house 8,000 people. Built in 1843, the grand old building was originally a military barracks. The Japanese turned it into their military police headquarters during World War II and tales of torture have plagued the premises. It was last used by the Rating and Valuation Department before being knocked down in 1982 to make way for the imposing Bank of China Tower. For the past 16 years, Murray House has consisted of a pile of stones and columns sitting by Tai Tam Reservoir.