Public apathy and scheduling problems have prompted a fresh assessment of whether election forums should be scaled down. 'The District Office will be contacting the candidates in the five geographical constituencies to see what they think of the schedule,' a Home Affairs Bureau spokesman said. At least two forums scheduled for Hong Kong Island this month are to be cancelled, according to Citizens Party candidate Christine Loh Kung-wai. A forum in New Territories East on Saturday was cancelled after only two people showed up. Some candidates on Hong Kong Island were only able to attend briefly a series of forums on Sunday. Up to 18 government-organised district forums have been arranged in the five constituencies. RTHK is also organising forums. Candidates will attend a second round of forums focusing on district issues after the first series has been completed. Democrat chairman Martin Lee Chu-ming said there had been too many forums. 'Of course, we are glad to attend but they are too repetitive. It would just create counter-effects and the radio audience would tune to another channel,' he said. Democratic Alliance for the Betterment of Hong Kong (DAB) chairman Tsang Yok-sing said the numbers of forums should be reduced. The Democrats and the DAB had reached a consensus on the issue, said DAB candidate Gary Cheng Kai-nam. 'We can just manage it [by] sharing the forums among ourselves. But it is very difficult for independents to attend them all,' he said. Tai Keen-man, head of RTHK Radio One, said the upcoming series would go ahead after consultation with candidates. He denied candidates had complained about forums being repetitive, but admitted difficulties in securing weather-proof and accessible locations. The Home Affairs Bureau said government forums had had a good response. The two forums in New Territories East had attracted 200 and 120 people respectively. She said the cancelled forum was organised by a non-government group.