Another health alert was issued last night after 40 people were struck down with food poisoning from large reef fish. Six people are recovering in hospital from ciguatera food poisoning. Most had eaten tiger garoupa weighing more than five kilograms, according to the Department of Health. The fish were imported from Southeast Asia, a spokesman said. Consumers were not told to stop eating big reef fish altogether, but to 'reduce the frequency and amount'. Seafood lovers should also avoid eating the liver and reproductive organs where the toxin is most concentrated. The 40 sufferers - aged two to 63 - fell ill between Monday and yesterday, with 12 needing hospital care. Ciguatera symptoms include numbness of the mouth and limbs, weakness, vomiting, diarrhoea and flushes.