Nearly half the washer-driers scrutinised by the Consumer Council could electrocute a user if the machine overflowed, its spokesman warned. Water was steadily poured on top of 11 machines to simulate an overflow caused by the malfunction of the electrical inlet valve, Dr Lo Chi-kin said. The inside of the machine was then checked to see if any water came into contact with electrical parts - potentially causing an electric shock or electrocution. Five of the machines - the Ariston AL1256Ctx (cost $7,000), the Philco WBD1074T ($7,000), the Siemens WD31000BY ($7,380), the Whirlpool AWG339 ($7,330) and Whirlpool SL1000 ($8,100) were found to be 'unsatisfactory'. 'You don't have to be too worried if you take precautions,' Dr Lo said. Consumers can refer to this month's issue of Choice magazine to see all the models tested. Shoppers were also reminded to stay alert for toxic ceramic wares despite a seizure of 59,000 pieces since October 1995 by Customs and Excise officers. The crockery contains excessive lead in the paint used for decoration. The council, which has tested 600 types of ceramic goods in 71 patterns, has found 526 types in 38 patterns to be toxic. Dr Lo said the toxic crockery was imported from the mainland.