The battle for peace may not be over even if the majority who vote in tomorrow's referendum are in favour of an agreement designed to establish a permanent armistice, experts have warned. With just hours to go, polls suggested up to 25 per cent of the province's voters were still agonising over how to vote and many others were determined not to approve the plan. 'There are many aspects of this agreement which cause me bother,' Kenny Allen, a student at Queen's University in Belfast, said. 'You really have to look at the fact that Sinn Fein will be sitting in government without having to have decommissioned its weapons. 'You have to look at things like law and order, and the fact that some terrorists will be released.' Seeking to counter a view which is widely held among Protestants, Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams said yesterday the IRA had already taken weapons out of commission and put them in dumps. However, the IRA has publicly refused to hand over its weapons. Accompanied to Belfast by opposition Conservative Party leader William Hague, British Prime Minister Tony Blair yesterday launched his final push to win support for the agreement, without which he has warned Northern Ireland could slip back towards violence. Mr Blair said: 'This agreement is the best opportunity for peace. Nothing can happen to the Northern Irish people unless the people want it to happen.' But he acknowledged Protestants' deep-seated concerns. Mr Blair has said he wants the overwhelming majority of the province's 1.2 million voters to endorse the agreement, but a simple majority would be accepted as sufficient indication of approval to move forward to elections to a new assembly. But Brendan O'Leary, of the London School of Economics, has warned that anything less than 70 per cent approval from voters might make the peace plan unworkable. The Catholic community, which makes up some 40 per cent of voters, is expected to vote in favour of the plan, which has been endorsed by republican groups including Sinn Fein, the political wing of the IRA. But the Protestant community, which accounts for almost all of the remaining 60 per cent of voters, still appears to be split. Under the peace plan, the future assembly will not be able to make any major decisions in the face of strong opposition for either sector of the community. Professor O'Leary calculates that if more than 30 per cent of people are opposed to the plan, then they could elect representatives to the assembly who could effectively kill the Good Friday peace agreement by preventing it reaching any major decisions. A Downing Street spokesman refused to be drawn on how the Government would proceed if it did not get a sufficient majority. Mr Blair saw no alternative way forward if the people of Northern Ireland did not accept the agreement.