A professional men's tournament billed as 'the event to see the stars of the future' will be unveiled at Victoria Park on October 18. The Hong Kong Challenger is a 'third tier' event and will occupy the dates normally reserved for the showcase Marlboro Championships. The Marlboro event fell victim to tough tobacco laws and organisers of the new event are confident Hong Kong fans will still be able to see high-level competitive tennis. Organisers expect players competing in the Challenger to be ranked anywhere between 80 and 300 with players ranked among the top 10 prohibited from competing. Players ranked 11-50 will need special approval to compete as a wild-card. Tournament director Jeff Mann, managing director of JMI, said that doesn't mean the event will be missing 'star' players. 'Our event is about 32 players knocking on stardom's door . . . aggressive professionals who desperately want to win,' he said. Mann said although the Marlboro event provided great entertainment and had raised awareness of tennis here, it was still an exhibition. 'The Salem Open has also done much for tennis during the past 10 years. It is a main tour event that carries ATP points,' said Mann. 'However, let's not forget that, in last month's event, the average ranking of the 32-man main draw, excluding the two non-ranked singles players, was 109, and the player who won the event was ranked 76 [Denmark's Kenneth Carlsen],' he added.