Shell (Hong Kong) Limited has been ordered to answer allegations that its negligence was partly to blame for a printer's brain damage. Ng Ngan-chui, 31, developed numb, shaky limbs after inhaling Shell's 'white petrol' every day for about 18 months, the Court of First Instance heard earlier. In 1991 he was diagnosed as suffering from peripheral neuropathy, a condition brought on by a toxic ingredient in the petrol, and left the company soon after. The fluid - used to clean printing presses - was said to have contained n-hexane, which is harmful if inhaled or comes in contact with the skin. Mr Ng was seeking to sue Paramount Printing Company. However, Mr Justice Arjan Sakhrani yesterday ruled Shell also had to appear as the second defendant. Mr Ng started work at the Chai Wan factory in August 1990. He was said to have inhaled large amounts of vapours for about 12 hours a day. A lengthy convalescence and physiotherapy helped, but his recovery was said to have stopped in 1992. Mr Ng alleges Paramount is responsible for his injuries because it stored the dangerous fluid in open containers. However, the printing company has blamed Shell.