A LEADING Philippine industrialist has accused state-owned National Power Corp (Napocor) of criminal negligence after two major plants built by Hongkong's Hopewell group ran out of fuel, triggering rare weekend power cuts in Manila. One of the plants began working two weeks ago and is to be inaugurated today by President Fidel Ramos and Hopewell chief Gordon Wu. The plant is the first of six ''fast-track'' power projects initiated by Mr Ramos. Mr Raul Concepcion, who heads a private sector task force on energy, said that because of the closure of the Hopewell plants - coupled with breakdowns at other plants - the weekend power shortage had soared to 1,200 megawatts from the usual 600 to 700MW. In the Metro Manila area, power was cut for about six hours on Sunday and up to 10 hours on Monday. Lengthy cuts on Sundays are extraordinary, as most industries are closed. An industry source confirmed that Hopewell had been existing on a ''hand-to-mouth'' basis since it began operations in Navotas, because Napocor had not finished building all the tanks promised to Hopewell. Of five 25,000 barrel tanks, only three had been completed - forcing Napocor to supply the facility with three barge deliveries daily. One delivery was missed on Saturday. ''I cannot understand why a storage tank built by Napocor should take longer than it did for Hopewell to build its power plant,'' Mr Concepcion said. ''This is criminal negligence.'' Sources said Napocor had given no explanation for the delays.