A seven-year-old girl who suffered severe burns in a blaze believed to have been started by a faulty electrical fan has less than a 50 per cent chance of surviving, her mother said yesterday. Last night, Lau Yuk-ting was in critical condition, battling for her life in the intensive care unit of Kwong Wah Hospital. She has breathed with the help of a machine since being admitted early on Sunday. Fire officers believe a fan in the girl's bedroom short-circuited, sparking the blaze in the 12th-floor flat at Prosperous Garden, in Public Square Street, Yau Ma Tei. Dr Ho Chiu-ming, the hospital's consultant (surgery), said Yuk-ting suffered burns to 70 per cent of her body. 'Almost all her body was burned seriously including her arms, chest, back, legs and face. 'We keep injecting medicine to make her sleep. It's too early to talk about any surgery to replace her skin. 'Her condition is still very critical and even if her condition turns stable, we have to watch for her getting complications. These usually develop on the fourth or fifth day.' Dr Ho refused to say what Yuk-ting's chances of survival were, but her mother, Lau On-lei, said doctors had told her they were 40 per cent. Ms Lau, who is in a stable condition, said her only wish was the recovery of her husband and daughters. Yuk-ting's younger sister, Hoi-ying, four, is in stable condition and could eat and walk yesterday. But father Lau Kwok-chuen, 41, is in a serious condition. Ms Lau said she obtained the fan from a chain store about a year ago. 'I used to switch on an air-conditioner in my daughters' room. But since the weather turned cooler I used the fan instead,' she said.