Attorney-General Janet Reno has hinted that she may yet appoint an independentprosecutor to probe the Clinton administration's fund-raising activities. Her comments were made on Tuesday after she came under heavy fire by both Congress and the head of the FBI, who accused her of having a conflict of interest if she refused to name a prosecutor. She also faces being cited for contempt by the House of Representatives this week for refusing a committee's demands that she hand over confidential memos on the fund-raising issue. FBI director Louis Freeh has said there is credible evidence that China tried to influence the 1996 elections and that overseas donors to the Democrats conspired to violate US election law. Among the memos sought by the House panel probing the matter is one written by Mr Freeh to Ms Reno in which he said it was imperative that she appoint an independent counsel. Earlier this year, Ms Reno declined to appoint a prosecutor to investigate President Bill Clinton or Vice-President Al Gore's role in fund-raising activities. Ms Reno once again refused on Tuesday to hand over the memos to the committee - a stance supported by Mr Freeh, who said they contained confidential information which might compromise the investigation. 'I may or may not ask for the Independent Counsel Act to be triggered. I am reviewing both memos with an open mind,' Ms Reno said. But she said she would 'not be bullied' into making a decision. While the beleaguered President will clearly be relieved if his chief justice official continues to block an independent prosecutor, Ms Reno's credibility is being eroded by the row. 'It looks to me like the Attorney-General is trying to protect the President,' said Dan Burton, Republican chairman of the House Committee. Mr Freeh told the committee that since Mr Clinton and Mr Gore were Ms Reno's bosses, she could not be independent in her handling of a case which might centre on them. 'I cannot think of a stronger argument for an independent counsel,' he said.