BRITAIN'S top military man in Hongkong said yesterday that the Royal Navy would continue with its move of HMS Tamar from Central to Stonecutters Island despite criticism from China on the relocation of the base. Commander British Forces, Major-General John Foley, said the transfer of HMS Tamar had been agreed with Beijing ''for a number of years''. ''We will complete that move during the month of May and I am very happy that the move will meet the most important consideration which is the operational needs of the navy.'' General Foley stressed that the question of what would happen to the current home of Tamar and other land used by the British Armed Forces after 1997, was not a matter for the British Garrison. ''All the land which we occupy here belongs to the Hongkong Government and we are in the process of handing that back to the Hongkong Government.'' Any further talks on the future of military bases would take place in the Joint Liaison Group (JLG) and the British Garrison would not get involved, he said. General Foley was speaking after inspecting a parade of the newly-formed Royal Logistic Corps. China criticised Britain on Wednesday over its decision to move Tamar to a purpose-built $350 million dock complex. The local branch of the New China News Agency said the move was ''absolutely unacceptable''. Britain said Beijing was first informed about the proposal in 1989 and then agreed at a JLG meeting in September 1991 that the move should go ahead. The existing dock area is to be swallowed up in the Central and Wan Chai reclamation project and the Tamar will be renamed Prince of Wales Barracks.