Three Vietnamese boat people won their battle to be screened for refugee status when the Government backed out of a court case yesterday. Mr Justice Raymond Sears said the Immigration Department's decision not to proceed with the legal battle was 'very sensible'. He said it would not affect the department's general policy or set any precedent. Tong Cong Sau, 34, who has been detained for 10 months, Nguyen Van Sang, 41, for 22 months and Luu The Truong, 32, for 10.5 months, had launched a legal action claiming they were being unlawfully held. They told the Court of First Instance on Wednesday that they wanted to be screened. The judge suggested that the Immigration Department grant their request instead of fighting the case. William Marshall SC, for the Government, said it now had been agreed that the three men could be screened.