Lawyers for 'Big Spender' Cheung Tze-keung have argued in a Guangzhou court that mainland laws cannot be applied to him for the alleged abduction of two Hong Kong tycoons. Closing arguments, submitted to Guangzhou Intermediate People's Court, said it was inappropriate to use the Criminal Law to try Cheung. A source said: 'The point is raised in the submission. Chinese law is supposed to protect mainland citizens. It is surprising it is used to try a non-mainlander for allegedly doing harm to another non-mainlander outside the mainland.' A verdict is expected as early as this week. The secret trial, involving 36 defendants, which ended last Wednesday, has drawn international attention. Amnesty International complained that the trial contravened the United Nations International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which Beijing signed last month, which guarantees basic human rights and fair trials. The New York Times last week devoted nearly a full page to the alleged kidnappings. At the centre of the controversy is the alleged abduction of Hong Kong tycoons, identified during the trial as Sun Hung Kai's Walter Kwok Ping-sheung and Cheung Kong's Victor Li Tzar-kuoi. The mainland court said it had received written witness statements from the pair, although the pair had never reported the case to the mainland or Hong Kong police. Cheung's Hong Kong lawyer Ivan Tang Yiu-wing made a last-ditch appeal to mainland officials yesterday to speak to his client. He has been unable to see him since taking the case. Mr Tang said he had written to the Public Security Bureau for permission to see Cheung in jail. He had only been allowed to attend the trial on the first day. 'I have been acting for Cheung since July but I have never been allowed to speak directly to him,' he said. 'This is the most ridiculous thing about the case because who has ever heard of a solicitor who isn't allowed to see his client? 'I need to see him in jail to find out more background on him - the Government should let me see him.'