The FIA World Council votes today on whether Zhuhai gets final approval to host a round of the Formula One Championship next year. But already reports have suggested that Zhuhai will be put on the back-burner, with rival Argentina getting the final nod to host the prestigious race. Zhuhai was put on the provisional list to host the Chinese Grand Prix for March 21, 1999, instead of a November date. Now reports suggest that Zhuhai officials have admitted they may not complete facilities on time and are looking at a 2000 date instead. One of Zhuhai's main worries is that it has been requested by FIA to relocate the control tower to another section of the track. Zhuhai International Circuit director Joe Lim refused to comment on the issue, saying Zhuhai was working at full speed to get the track ready on time. 'I cannot really comment until I have spoken to the Zhuhai officials. We are aware of these rumours. China is a very important race and we want everything to be 100 per cent,' said Lim. 'We have more or less finalised the layout for the new facilities. Right now, there's speculation that things could change but, in all honesty, I don't know what's going to happen. 'We're not competing against another country but competing with ourselves,' he said. Asked whether a push would be made to secure the race in 2000 if Zhuhai did not get the final nod now, Lim said: 'Of course, a later date would be better for us because it will give us more time to prepare for the race. Whatever happens, we will be ready for 1999 or 2000, but we want 1999.' Twenty-five members of the FIA World Council will vote in Monaco to decide Zhuhai's fate. Observers are strongly tipping Argentina to get the nod ahead of Zhuhai, which is then likely to be put on the provisional 2000 calendar. Argentina made a strong bid last month to reclaim the race it lost at the end of last season because of financial difficulties. The country was relegated to reserve status after the provisional FIA list was drawn up earlier this year. Argentina President Carlos Menem held high-level talks with FIA vice-president Bernie Ecclestone in England which are believed likely to swing votes in its favour. The United States has also come into the Formula One picture and is keen to stage a Formula One race. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is expected to complete a deal to host a Formula One race in 2000.