The waste paper collection industry is poised to grind to a halt for a month, putting more than 4,000 people out of work, the collectors warned yesterday. More than 100 dealers voted to stop all collection in early February if the Government does not come to their aid. Representative Leung Pui-lun said 200 operators voted to halt services for a month, which could indirectly make 4,000 people redundant. 'We'll let the Government experience what it would be like to clear up 2,000 tonnes of paper waste every day and hope it will then do something,' he said. An estimated two-thirds of the 300 operators would close around Lunar New Year when contracts with their suppliers ended, said Mr Leung, who already has put his Chai Wan factory up for auction. Sixty operators had shut since the closure of recycler Concordia Paper in Yuen Long last month, leaving at least 240 workers and many part-timers jobless, another representative, Lo Yiu-chuen, said. 'We have to face such a decision because we have continuing problems. Who would stop if they were making money?' asked Mr Lo, who owns On Kee Waste Paper and Metal Ware in Kwai Chung. But the last major recycler, Future's Safe, does not plan to join any action. 'We aren't going to suspend our business or encourage people to do so,' material supply manager Sunny Wong Yan-shan said. In a meeting with the Environmental Protection Department last Wednesday, the collectors demanded a ban on government-subsidised waste paper from overseas. A department spokesman said yesterday that the SAR's obligations did not allow it to discriminate in favour of local suppliers.