An elderly woman was fighting for her life last night after being badly burned in an explosion sparked by a leaking gas stove at her home. Lee Ying, 83, was boiling water on the cooker in her 13th-floor flat on Sau Mau Ping Estate when liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) leaked and exploded, firemen said. A neighbour living opposite said: 'I was watching TV when I heard a loud bang coming from the direction of the corridor. 'I raced to the door and found the wall on the other side of the corridor had collapsed.' He and two other men scrambled through the debris and rescued Ms Lee. She was taken to United Christian Hospital and was in critical condition. A policeman who tried to put out the fire was also admitted to hospital with eye problems. Neighbours said Ms Lee moved into the 30-square-metre apartment about two years ago with another woman in her 70s. Her flatmate worked as a silk flower maker during the day, while Ms Lee stayed at home, the neighbours said. Electrical and Mechanical Services Department staff took two LPG cylinders and the cooker from the flat for examination. The Consumer Council said cookers and their accessories should be checked periodically by technicians from the LPG supplier. It also urged consumers to go to authorised dealers to buy replacement tubing for LPG cookers.