Legislators gave a mixed reaction to the controversial welfare cuts. Major political parties welcomed dropping the proposal to force single parents to seek work but were disappointed over the decision to cancel some special grants and set harsh limits for those doing part-time jobs. Yeung Sum from the Democratic Party said he saw no reason why some special grants had been axed. Dr Yeung said: 'I doubt whether the Government really encourages people to take up part-time jobs. It seems that all the Governments want is to save money.' Colleague Law Chi-kwong said living standards of the aged and the disabled in large families would inevitably be affected. Lee Cheuk-yan from The Frontier feared that the decision would drag down general wage levels and worsen poverty. Chan Yuen-han from the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment of Hong Kong (DAB) said it was difficult to find jobs paying more than $3,200 a month given the current job market. The DAB also doubted whether the Government planned to help people rejoin the job market. Katherine Fok Lo Siu-ching, Secretary for the Health and Welfare Bureau, said those opting to take up part-time jobs did not care much about the extra earnings but wished not to be isolated from the community. Legislators who were unimpressed by her answer endorsed a resolution to ask the Government to explain the issue again in May. The review will be tabled as part of the budget to be announced on Wednesday.