Doctors from outside the hospital where a 16-month-old baby died of blood poisoning in January will help investigate whether a blunder occurred. The boy died 26 hours after being admitted to United Christian Hospital on January 25 with high fever and vomiting. He had septicaemia caused by meningococcus, the bacteria that causes meningitis. His parents have accused doctors and nurses of negligence. The deputy director of the Hospital Authority, Dr Ko Wing-man, said a nurse at the hospital had forgotten to send the boy's urine for virus tests, although a doctor had told her to. 'This is a procedural error. But we have yet to find out whether the error led to later clinical developments,' he said. 'We have decided to seek opinions from paediatric experts from other hospitals for the investigation.' The boy developed a rash on his body after he was admitted to the hospital. The red spots later turned blue. Michael Ho Mun-ka, chairman of the Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff and a Democratic Party legislator, agreed there was procedural error in the incident but questioned whether this was the cause of the death. He said it would take several days for urine to be tested. 'We fully support the family in finding out who should be responsible. And it is important to find out why the boy was not treated promptly,' he said.