Local National People's Congress deputy Ma Lik appears to have dropped plans to raise the right of abode ruling at the NPC meetings. Speaking on arrival in Beijing for the plenum starting on Friday, Mr Ma said he had yet to decide whether to submit his personal opinions on the mainland children controversy to the NPC. 'The problem is very complicated. I respect the ruling but it will open the SAR to a lot of mainland children. I have not made up my mind yet,' Mr Ma said. Mr Ma had until yesterday insisted the judges' clarification last week had not cleared up all the questions raised. Last week, he said he would ask the NPC Standing Committee to re-interpret the Basic Law if the court did not offer further clarification on the validity of the now-defunct Preparatory Committee's suggestions on rights of abode. Mr Ma, of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment of Hong Kong, sidestepped a question on whether he had made a U-turn. 'My stance is clear that we have to work out a solution to deal with the worries about a possible influx. I will personally support any measure which can resolve the problem,' he said. NPC Standing Committee spokesman Zhou Chengkui indicated deputies should not pursue the controversy. 'The guidelines for the local deputies state clearly that the deputies should discuss national affairs only,' said Mr Zhou when asked whether the deputies should put the controversial issue on the NPC's plenum. Long-serving deputy Ng Hong-man said the right of abode controversy should end. 'We should not keep going on about the row, otherwise it will only get worse,' he said. Mr Ng said the relationship between the Central Government and the SAR would deteriorate if the deputies continued to pursue the issue.