Officials have warned local governments to increase their vigilance to prevent a recurrence of last summer's floods. The warning was issued on Monday when officials met in Chengdu, Sichuan province, to map out their strategies for the coming months. Xinhua said the meeting was chaired by Jiang Zhuping, top commander in charge of the anti-flood operation on the Yangtze River, and Li Antian, chairman of the Yangtze Water Conservancy Committee. Officials from eight provinces and cities - Sichuan, Chengdu, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangxi, Anhui, Jiangsu and Shanghai - attended the meeting, Xinhua said. Local cadres were told they must not underestimate the danger of flooding this year and to prepare for the arrival of the rainy season. They should step up inspection of dykes along the river and stock up on emergency materials. Cadres were reminded they would be held responsible for the quality of their work. The news agency said extensive preparations had begun in some provinces. In Anhui, officials had already gathered more than four million sacks and a special patrol team had been set up to monitor the river. Environmental officials have warned that unstable weather could cause flooding in the Yangtze area this summer. Thousands died in last summer's floods which ravaged provinces all along the Yangtze and the Songhua and Nen rivers in the northeast.