A shipyard explosion yesterday sparked an investigation into the alleged illegal storage of hazardous substances at the site. Firemen called to Tam Kung Miu Road, Shau Kei Wan, discovered 200 litres of styrene in three containers and 800 litres of trichloroethylene in four containers after a minor explosion. No one was injured in the blast. The legal storage limit under licence is 20 litres for styrene and 100 litres for trichloroethylene. Illegal storage of hazardous substances carries a maximum fine of $25,000 and six months in jail. Biochemist Dr Tso Wung-wai, of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, said styrene and trichloroethylene were mildly to moderately toxic. The former is flammable and often used for welding while the latter is used as a solvent for fabric, plastic and wax. Inhaling fumes from the chemicals can cause fainting and even death if the substances are not stored properly.