The family of a maid found dead in a manhole accused the Philippine Consulate yesterday of concealing security lapses at the Kowloon half-way house where she was staying. Glenda Lorio's father and husband said the consulate-run Filipino Workers Development Centre - which was shut down following the killing in May - had failed to protect the mother of three. They also claimed that a confidential consulate investigation had been conducted by the same officials responsible for running the centre, where Lorio had sought refuge in the weeks before her death. The body of Lorio, 31, was found on May 22 in a manhole behind the centre in Yau Ma Tei. She had lived at the centre since being assaulted on May 2. Her family is now considering suing the consulate, after two hours of talks yesterday in which Consul-General Maria Zenaida Angara Collinson said it would be up to Manila to order any further investigation. The family's lawyer, Edre Olalia, said: 'The place is like an abandoned building, without sufficient lighting or adequate security. 'It didn't protect the migrant workers who go there precisely to seek refuge. 'The investigation is a total failure and a cover-up.' Lorio's father, Crispin Giron, said: 'If they only did what they had to do, then maybe my daughter would still be alive today.' A man has been charged with Lorio's murder. He has not yet entered a plea. Thirty domestic helpers representing a coalition of migrant lobby groups waved banners, chanted and sang outside the consulate in Admiralty while the family and their lawyers met officials yesterday. Shouting 'Justice for Glenda', they demanded another half-way house for migrant workers be opened to replace the one closed since Lorio's death. Mrs Collinson said that security at the centre, an old British military hospital, had been sufficient but that no site was impenetrable. 'We have maintained security there using all possible resources and we do not accept the charge that there's been a lapse.'