Flights of airlines unable to confirm Y2K-compliance could be banned for the days around December 31, it was revealed yesterday. All but seven of 100 airlines asked about their millennium-bug preparations had said they were compliant, Deputy Director of Civil Aviation Alex Au Kang-yuen said yesterday. The Government was asking the seven, which did not operate frequent flights to Hong Kong, to reply as soon as possible. Mr Au, who was speaking to a Legco economic services panel, did not name the airlines. A United Nations-affiliated organisation, which sets international flight standards, said last month that 35 countries had failed to provide Y2K-readiness information. With the exception of Russia, they were mostly small countries with limited air-transport networks. Secretary for Economic Services Stephen Ip Shu-kwan said he hoped Hong Kong would take measures consistent with international practice. 'It is very unlikely that we would allow the flights of the seven airlines to come for the sake of aviation safety,' Mr Ip said. Eric Wong Wai-lun, general manager of operations support at the Airport Authority, said seven of its 26 major business partners had not submitted reports on Y2K-readiness. They include the Immigration Department, CLP Power and Hutchison Telecommunication. They had all finalised contingency plans, but documents were not ready, said Mr Wong.