Two managers have been detained over Sunday's fire at a hotel bathhouse in Changchun which claimed 20 lives. Han Zhenhua, vice-manager of the Hawaii Grand Hotel, and Liu Jiting, who ran the bathhouse, were in police custody, Xinhua reported last night. The two could face formal arrest if police find they were responsible for the fire or if the bathhouse, located in the hotel's basement, violated safety regulations. Xinhua said Liu signed a contract to manage the bathhouse in October, hinting she would be held directly responsible if negligence was found to be the cause of the blaze. Xinhua said 11 victims remained in several hospitals in the Jilin provincial capital yesterday. Three of the 20 deaths were from burns and the others from smoke inhalation. Half of those who died were women. A survivor yesterday accused firefighters of not acting quickly enough. On Sunday, Xinhua said firefighters arrived within five minutes of receiving a phone call reporting the fire, which started around 4am. But survivor Cao Mingchun said it took them at least two hours to reach the bathhouse. 'I saw the first fireman walk into the basement at around 6.10am,' said Mr Cao, who suffered minor injuries. 'I have no idea what took them so long.' Smoke in the bathhouse had thinned out by the time firefighters got through, Mr Cao said. 'The 20 deaths, mostly young people in their early 20s, were mostly caused by suffocation. The casualties could have been minimised or avoided had the rescue been made earlier.' There was only one fire extinguisher in the bathhouse, where there were about 50 people when the fire started, he said. 'It was actually a small fire and it was probably caused by a short-circuit in the watchman's room,' Mr Cao said. 'A hotel worker tried but failed to put out the fire with the extinguisher.' Smoke soon filled the 150-square-metre bathhouse. Mr Cao and 14 others ran to shower rooms and doused themselves with water while waiting to be rescued. He said some people fainted as the smoke got thicker. Mr Cao used his mobile telephone to call the police and even a 24-hour hotline at the mayor's office. 'I told them my exact location and asked for immediate rescue. 'But the people I talked to did not seem to know what to do except express anxiety,' Mr Cao said. Local residents said many bathhouses and saunas were popular venues for prostitution. They were known to have serious fire-safety problems because of their clandestine nature. Police refused to comment on the blaze yesterday.