Lunar New Year belt-tightening feared after Wendy's and Denny's forced to close
More catering workers may lose their jobs during the Lunar New Year as diners continue to watch their budgets, the sector has warned.
The warning came after about 260 workers of fast-food chain Wendy's and baker Denny's lost their jobs. Wendy's closed on Monday and Denny's yesterday.
Workers' representatives of Wendy's and Denny's met management in the presence of labour officials yesterday. At both meetings they were told by the receivers to wait until cash-flow positions became clear.
At least $9 million in wages and severance is owed to the workers - $3 million to workers at Wendy's and $6 million to Denny's.
'We are satisfied with the company reply and look forward to the next meeting. If it is willing to pay us, we would save trouble and time having to go to the insolvency fund,' a Wendy's staff spokesman said.
Wendy's seven directly operated outlets in Britain were forced to close in October because of high property and operating costs.
The firm, which grossed more than $7 billion in company-wide sales in 1998, was dealt another serious blow last month by the sudden death of its 56-year-old chairman, Gordon Teter.